Appium Studio's Executor Agent

Dear Appium Studio Team,

It is great to understand it is a feature of Appium Studio that we need to ensure that the Appium Studio is running an Executor Agent on port of choice which on this occasion is 4723.

It would be great if I can be helped with the following please:

1. It would be great to confirm I have the right understanding. Executor Agent is an enhanced implementation of Appium Server.
  2. During Continous Integration on Team City, could this Exector Agent be initiated from Command Line (OR) If we should install Appium Studio on Team Continous Integration Server and start the Executor Agent. The doubt in specifc is whether we can start Executor Agent from Command Line.

If the both of the above are true, then the URL http://127.0.01:4723/wd/hub shall remain the same on the Appium Test Scripts during the test execution on Team City Continous Integration server.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanking you,
Raghavan Kasthuri.

Hi Raghavan,
Executor agent in Appium studio is similar to Appium server but this service is developed by Experitest. The tests developed through Appium studio are compatible to run against this service and not against the actual Appium server.

All the details about features/commands that are supported through Appium studio tests are given in the following documentation page : https://docs.experitest.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=55281066

Coming to integration with Team City, I don’t think that there’s any way to run the agent through command-line. So the other option of installing Appium studio in team city might be the way to go. I haven’t tried this integration but if the tests that are run and the Appium Studio are both present in the same machine, then the url which you mentioned should work without any issues as per my understanding.

Regards,
Chinni Sai Harshith

Hi Chinni,

Thanks for letting me know that Appium Studio is an enhanced version of Appium Server developed by Experitest. Hence, Appium Tests developed through Appium Studio are compatible to run against this service only and not against the actual Appium Server.

This afternoon, when I started opening Appium Studio, I started getting the error:

“Can not establish connection to license server. Please check you network connection and retry. If you are using a proxy, please check your proxy configuration”

From reading through posts on the Appium Studio support, I gather that whitelisting the license server shall solve the issue.

When I clicked on the link https://mhpfsdcush.execute-api.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/, I receive the following on the screen:

{“message”:“Forbidden”}

From whitelisting, I understand that it is about granting access to the IP Address for the use of software. Hence, I would like to think, the IP address of the machine from which I access the Appium Studio software shall be whitelisted by Experitest/Digital AI for the access of Appium Studio software.

It would be great to hear back. I shall also inform my project team regarding the same as this would mean that my Appium tests would have to be halted till this license issue is resolved.

Thanking you,
Raghavan Kasthuri

Hi Raghavan,
This looks like an error from server-side. Even I too am facing it. I have raised an issue with our dev team. They are checking it.

Regards,
Chinni Sai Harshith

Hi Raghavan,
The issue is fixed now. You can check now.

Regards,
Chinni Sai Harshith

Hi Chinni,

Many thanks for letting me know that this was an issue from the server side.
It is great to know that the issue is fixed. I would like to confirm that I can now launch Appium Studio.

I’m very thankful for the reply as early as 8 AM in the morning.

I would be very grateful to know if you are one of the moderators at Appium Studio. I also see one of the moderators by name @Tom in many of the Appium development related discussion threads.

Many thanks. This has made my day a lot of good as apposed to what I had been thinking last evening.

Thanks & Regards,
Raghavan Kasthuri

Hi Raghavan,
Yes, I am from Experitest team and a moderator here. Tom and few others used to be active before an year but now it’s mostly me and occasionally maybe a couple of others who might be active here.

Regards,
Chinni Sai Harshith

Hi Chinni,

Many thank you for confirming that you are the moderator at Experitest team.
Initially when I went through the other topics in Appium Studio support, I had thought there is a concept of IP Whitelisting for which there is a URL and when I ping the URL from command prompt, the IP of the local machine in which Appium Studio is installed shall be whitelisted.

I would be very grateful to know if IP whitelisting is a necessary step too please. I would like to confirm that Appium Studio launch is working fine at present.

Many thanks & Kind regards,
Raghavan Kasthuri.

Hi Raghavan,
No, it’s not required. It’s only for those users whose firewall is blocking connection to the server. But generally, one can just download the tool and start using it without the need of performing any additional steps.

Regards,
Chinni Sai Harshith

Hi Chinni,
It’s very helpful to know that IP Whitelisting is not a mandatory step and is only necessary if the company’s firewall is blocking connection to Appium Server. Initially I understood the concept as Experitest needing to whitelist IP address of certain users. In reality, I understand from your email that the firewall of certain organizations say Wipro or Infosys might be blocking connection of Wipro/Infosys employees to the Appium Studio Server in which case these users will need to go for IP Whitelisting.
Many thank you,
Raghavan Kasthuri

1 Like