Appium Studio Questions

1: does Experitest Appium Studio run on Mac OS ?? If so, I’d like to “trial” it.
2: does Experitest engineering find/fix Appian bugs or wait for the “community” to fix them ? Perhaps you’ve rewritten to Appian Server ?

Look forward to hearing from you.

1. Yes the Appium Studio run on MAC OS.
    http://d242m5chux1g9j.cloudfront.net/AppiumStudio_macos_10_8_32.dmg
  2. The appium engine we are using is different from the original engine, it is written in Java (and not in Node) and in many cases bug exist in Appium open source will not be seen at all (on the other hand it may introduce issues that are not seen in the open source version).

Hi Guy;

I joined a company that has a large investment in Appium from a test case & code perspective. Rewriting all the tests is out of the question so we need an environment that will run “Appium tests” as already coded (its okay if we need to twerk a few things). We find ourselves fighting Appium specific issues way too often. We have a nasty one with Appium Server 1.6.4 where the .setValue() method doesn’t work properly. It causes IOS tests to hang. Appium folks say its an IOS/XCtest issue, I am not so sure. Have you seen such an issue with your Appium Enterprise suite. I will be speaking to someone from Experitest this afternoon to get more details (cost etc) on Appium Studio. -walter

HI,
I’m not sure regarding the setValue, I’m not aware of such issue in Appium Studio. However I will recommend to try it our and if you run into the same issues, publish the information in the forum, usually if we have a reconstruction of the issue we can address it and try to workaround the bug in XCTest.

We have downloaded Appium Studio. used the recorder to perform a simple test, exported the JAVA, put it in our code base. The code did not seem to “connect” to your
Appium server. We checked the port, seemed good. How do we get some technical support ? thnx

Can you post a sample test code example. It could be using Eribank.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Connect to an iOS Simulator

I don’t see Experibank. app in the Appium Studio bin, or in any of the other Appium Studio folders. How do I get my hands on it so I can validate my Appium Studio environment ? I can load my .app and generate java code, I just can’t get the java code to run. I’d like to see if the same if true with Experibank (I suspect it would be).

Were you able to reproduce the issue. I am waiting for feedback.

Hi,
The issue is with your test UDID.
The number you are using: 2B3D5D58-298F-4A86-9D10-C3C90F160E63
Is not a legal UDID.
Please try to replace the MobileCapabilityType.UDID line with the following:
dc.setCapability(SeeTestCapabilityType.DEVICE_QUERY, "@os=ios");

I followed the suggestion. Still have the same issue. How do we get past this ??

om.experitest.client.InternalException: Timeout wait for device

at com.experitest.client.JavaClientInternals.waitForDevice(JavaClientInternals.java:395)
at com.experitest.client.Client.waitForDevice(Client.java:234)
at com.experitest.appium.STClientFacade.<init>(STClientFacade.java:178)
at com.experitest.appium.STIOSClientFacade.<init>(STIOSClientFacade.java:15)
at com.experitest.appium.SeeTestIOSDriver.<init>(SeeTestIOSDriver.java:82)
at Main.setUp(Main.java:31)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at org.junit.runners.model.FrameworkMethod$1.runReflectiveCall(FrameworkMethod.java:50)
at org.junit.internal.runners.model.ReflectiveCallable.run(ReflectiveCallable.java:12)
at org.junit.runners.model.FrameworkMethod.invokeExplosively(FrameworkMethod.java:47)
at org.junit.internal.runners.statements.RunBefores.evaluate(RunBefores.java:24)
at org.junit.internal.runners.statements.RunAfters.evaluate(RunAfters.java:27)
at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.runLeaf(ParentRunner.java:325)
at org.junit.runners.BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.runChild(BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.java:78)
at org.junit.runners.BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.runChild(BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.java:57)
at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$3.run(ParentRunner.java:290)
at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$1.schedule(ParentRunner.java:71)
at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.runChildren(ParentRunner.java:288)
at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.access$000(ParentRunner.java:58)
at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$2.evaluate(ParentRunner.java:268)
at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.run(ParentRunner.java:363)
at org.junit.runners.Suite.runChild(Suite.java:128)
at org.junit.runners.Suite.runChild(Suite.java:27)
at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$3.run(ParentRunner.java:290)
at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$1.schedule(ParentRunner.java:71)
at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.runChildren(ParentRunner.java:288)
at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.access$000(ParentRunner.java:58)
at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$2.evaluate(ParentRunner.java:268)
at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.run(ParentRunner.java:363)
at org.junit.runner.JUnitCore.run(JUnitCore.java:137)
at com.intellij.junit4.JUnit4IdeaTestRunner.startRunnerWithArgs(JUnit4IdeaTestRunner.java:68)
at com.intellij.rt.execution.junit.IdeaTestRunner$Repeater.startRunnerWithArgs(IdeaTestRunner.java:51)
at com.intellij.rt.execution.junit.JUnitStarter.prepareStreamsAndStart(JUnitStarter.java:242)
at com.intellij.rt.execution.junit.JUnitStarter.main(JUnitStarter.java:70)

It can be great help for us, if you can share some pointers on Architecture followed in Appium Studio and how it works?

We know that inorder for Appium to work with Android it uses native UIAutomator and incase of iOS application it uses UIAutomation or XCUI framework. But as per your reply is Appium Studio is a wrapper around Appium?

Please throw some light on this.

Thanks,
Uday

Uday hi,
Let me try to put some light on the Appium Studio.
Appium Studio does not utilize appium server. It is using SeeTest mobile server, that is written in Java.
It is independent from tools like xcode so you can work with iOS devices on windows machines. It also remove challenges related to comparability of xcode.
It enable you some powerful capabilities like:

1. Work with any iOS application no need to have the app code. So you can fully control the setting or any other application.
  2. Very powerful ‘on the fly’ instrumentation. It enable you camera simulation fingerprint mocking and more.
  3. We provide you detail reports.
  4. Parallel execution of tests on the same machine.

Internally it is utilizing UIAutomation as well as XCUI framework…

Currently the major gap we have is that our driver is not using the json wire protocol. And it only available in java. This limitation is going to be removed in 2 weeks (June 6).

seems the issue deals with using iOS simulator rather than physical device. One needs to have if using the simulator.
dc.setCapability(com.experitest.appium.SeeTestCapabilityType.DEVICE_QUERY, “@os=‘ios’ and @emulator=‘true’”);

1 Like

That’s right, we are working on simplifying this process in the upcoming version

thanks for your feedback

Tom