Appium Studio Cloud: AnywhereUsb

Have any the Experitest private cloud users tried to connect their mobile devices to a product such as:

https://www.digi.com/products/usb-and-serial-connectivity/usb-over-ip-hubs/anywhereusb

Any issues doing such ?

thnx, wk

Hi @wakelt,

I have not heard or seen any of our users connecting devices over such product, I must say it sounds like a nice product, @Tom do you know if any of our users have tried this and if it would cause any issues ?

We bought a small version of the product (small from a USB port perspective) and will try it out with the help of Waseem. I’ll report back when I have more info.

Hi,

Although, I’m not the most objective person here (since I’m representing the Experitest team) - I wouldn’t recommend on this approach

We’ve tested similar products in the past and eventually choose internally a different approach (developed a product)

the main issue with these sort of tools is that they add latency to the communication between the host PC (e.g - Appium Studio PC) and the device, which can result to a failure of tests

As a result, we’ve developed a product here which sprouts instances of the the Appium Server on the host which the device is connected to

the product is called SeeTestCloud or the Digital Assurance Lab by Experitest, with a feature called SeeTestGrid which serves the same purpose

https://docs.experitest.com/display/GEWM/Appium

Bottom line, we can’t assure that the POC that you are trying out will work, this is not how we test the product, I’ll highly recommend to consider reviewing the cloud soltuion

Tom

Hi Tom;

I totally understand, and respect, your take on this.

The problem is my company (Healthcare industry) doesn’t want any devices attached to the USB ports of their data center equipment. Its perceived as a security concern. In fact, the equipment is often locked up in a datacenter so engineers can’t easily get at it.

Using the USB ports on our engineering laptops for engineering development is okay because the threat as seen as more contained.

I am looking for something that allows us to keep the mobile devices accessible to engineers and avoid the “security concern” of my company. (you may recall that I asked about connecting the mobile devices to appium via network in the past)

We’ve budgeted for the Experitest Private Cloud product and want to make sure we have connectivity story in place (it will live in our on-site datacenter).

Look forward to your thoughts…

thanks
Walter

Hi Walter,

I think that we’ll need to continue with this discussion in a private channel

If anyone else is interested in this topic, feel free to comment

Sounds good ! Happy to discuss further.